The Maria Montessori Education Foundation (MMEF) is a charitable trust in New Zealand. The purposes of the MMEF are as follows:
- To establish AMI training in New Zealand. Integral to this also will be to support the participation in the AMI Training of Trainers programme by AMI Diploma holders in New Zealand.
- To uphold the rights of the child in society, and make known the child’s importance for the progress of civilisation;
- To make known the natural laws of growth in order to help the child to develop naturally in the family, school and society;
- To spread and uphold the pedagogical principles and practice formulated by Dr. Maria Montessori, which ensures the independence of the child’s personality through successive stages of growth until full normal development is reached by means of the child’s own activity;
- To provide opportunities wherever possible for children to develop normally, thereby helping all adults to enter into a new life of harmony and cooperation with children; and by thus unifying the two fundamental phases of human life, to lead the way to a higher and more peaceable civilisation;
- To support the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) as a social movement that will strive to obtain recognition for the rights of the child throughout the world, irrespective of race, religion, political and social beliefs.